John Benjamins welcomes suggestions for new book series in areas of scholarship that fit in with our publishing program. In order to be able to assess your proposal, we ask you to provide us with an outline of the proposed series focusing on the following aspects:
Editorial aims and scope
- What are the aims and scope of the book series?
- What (sub)disciplines will be covered?
- Who are its main audience?
Rationale for the book series
- Why is this book series needed? What is the background to the proposal in terms of the current and future development of the field?
- How will the series relate to relevant existing publication programmes world-wide and what will this book series offer that these do not? Is there competition – which series (publisher, number of volumes per year)? We are especially interested in your views on the relation of this series to existing JB book series.
- How many books do you expect to be able to publish (e.g., 1-3 per year)? Would these be monographs and collective volumes; roughly, in what ratio?
Editorial board and administration
- Whom would you suggest to invite to be members of the editorial board?
- How do you propose to handle the administration of the book series and what role do you see the editorial board as playing in this process?
Some of these issues may already have been touched on in the above sections but we need to have as detailed an account as possible of the market profile and potential for the series.
For example, we would need your input these items:
- An assessment of which institutes, in what fields, would purchase volumes.
- What are the major conferences in the relevant field(s)?
- Where is the work in this area being done, at what kind of institutions?
- What is the geographical spread of the work, in terms of different countries and thus the international spread of potential institutional subscribers? In particular, what is the state of the field in the USA and Europe?
- Is there currently and/or will there be, a teaching as well as a research base for this work to solidify the library demand?
To discuss your series proposal, please send an email to proposalsbenjamins.nl.